The Briggs Group is a fourth
generation family owned company which has been actively involved in the
Australian milling and marketing of timber products for over 100 years.
The Briggs Group story began in
1908 when George Largie Briggs, the founder of G.L.Briggs and Sons, built the
first saw mill at Dorrigo, NSW.
This was replaced by another mill
built at nearby Megan in 1915, with subsequent expansion adding a furniture and
The company then moved and
established a saw mill and village at Briggsvale in 1923. Veneer milling
started in 1933.
As the Company expanded, the
village also prospered. At its peak Briggsvale had a population of 150
In 1961, two additional mills in
the nearby township of Cascade were purchased.
In 1972, extensive plant
modernisation was undertaken. Around this time, G.L. Briggs pioneered the
peeling and marketing of regrowth eucalypt veneers and in 1983 a plywood
factory was added.
Unfortunately, the Briggsvale saw
and veneer-milling operation ceased in 1993, due to the mill being destroyed in